[C320-list] Leaking fresh water tank

mcdonough5 at verizon.net mcdonough5 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 1 14:20:57 PDT 2014

To Chris, Art and everyone else, thanks for the suggestions – and here’s the answer.

The leak in my 2003 320 starboard (aft) water tank came at the connection to the hose that leads to the water pressure pump. It was not evident at first because there was no water on or under the connector. The water seeped directly down into the boat inside what appears to be a double wall of the tank. If that doesn’t make sense, it’s the best I can do. It then flowed forward to the bilge.

My friend who solved the mystery suggests I replace the clean-out screw cap opening at the top of the tank with a larger one to give me better access to reach inside the tank to work on the hose connector. Then install a new connector, one with a “snout” that will fit inside the hose, to be secured with a hose clamp.

I launch in three days so don’t have time to complete all that. I may see if there’s an easier way.
The connector, by the way, is one of those plastic snap-ons that I dread.

Jack  #947