[C320-list] whisker pole fitting on mast

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 16 14:31:30 PDT 2014

I used the same eye fitting and it has served me well. I never felt I needed
a track and car. I store the pole on Forespar stanchion blocks. I used a
drill stop to prevent too much penetration (Harbor Freight, or hardware
store.) I don't remember the thickness of the mast. Perhaps you should check
with the mfgr. I think my drill did pull a sight bit of PVC from the conduit
inside the mast. If you use rivets, perhaps they should be of Monel metal
rather than SS. I'm not sure aluminum rivets would be strong enough. I did
use screws that I cut to length so they only penetrated the thickness of the
mast. Be sure to allow for the thickness of the eye mount as well. Also, if
you use SS screws, be sure to use a thread sealant. I used 4400, but there
are other thread lock compounds that do the trick.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62