[C320-list] Engine compartment sound proofing - Some preliminary results

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Wed Jun 25 08:25:30 PDT 2014

I'm not a sound engineer either.

As I think I mentioned, sound proofing this engine doesn't make it quiet.  There are many frequencies of sound and vibration through the hull that make up the sound you hear.  Some of these are rather harsh to my ear anyway.  The sound proofing can't change what vibrates through the hull (lower frequencies mostly), but can make a big difference in what frequencies make it to your ear through the engine compartment covers (which are like speaker boxes).  I also mentioned that if you are going to leave gaps, you probably shouldn't spend the money because the offensive frequencies might be reaching the engine covers and will probably transmit right through.  Given that the aft cover isn't done, that's a big gap.  :-)  When I shut the aft cabin door and run the engine with the aft cover off, the noise is really loud!  It also makes a big difference whether the aft bunk cushions are in place.

There may also be something else going on with measuring the sound, like it may be measuring only a specific range frequencies. I believe the reading is correct at the frequencies it's measuring but I doubt the microphone on the iPhone is set up for reading anything outside than the normal conversational voice range.  You should also measure the sound from the cockpit.

So, my take is that if you're going to make decisions on empirical data, you get good empirical data and measure the DB across a range of frequencies.  You may find that it is significantly changing the sound spectrum, but not the hull vibration effect.

I can certainly say that the noise with WM or SoundDown (and from others that the SS solution also) insulation is significantly deadened. The high freq. pinging /rattling of the diesel is almost completely gone.  What you have to ask is whether you're willing to insulate the compartments along the prop shaft and the back wall under the bed that contacts the rudder / fuel tank area.  All these would make a big difference considering that the muffler isn't insulated, etc...

So, before you give up, finish the whole engine compartment just like you started and use your ears.  Can you now have a comfortable conversation in the cockpit?  :)  My wife complained about the noise before and hasn't since, but we're all happy to turn off the engine and sail.

Good luck!
Jeff