[C320-list] NOAA Charting App

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 5 07:32:23 PST 2014

I hope this is an appropriate posting for y'all as this is an interesting
and useful app:
MyNOAACharts FREE Tablet App:
If you haven't heard, NOAA is testing a tablet app called MyNOAACharts. It's
in Beta test now and only available for Android devices from Google Play;
but, is very usable and can be a valuable aid to navigation with these
features:
. Quick and easy download of updated charts.
. Quick and easy download of selected Coast Pilot with internal links and
link to related charts
. GPS location of your vessel
. Creating and editing of waypoints
. Constant display of SOG/COG, and view range of the chart window
. Touch activated vector from ship to any point with lat/lon, distance, and
course
. On-screen chart selection
. . and more

These are just some of the features I've gleaned from checking it out. If
you have an Android tablet I think you'll be very surprised how useful this
app can be, if nothing more than providing easy access to current charts.
And, since it is a beta version, NOAA is asking for feedback from users.
Feedback will be very useful in encouraging NOAA to continue development of
this software. This 2014 season will be a critical trial for MyNOAACharts,
so once you've had a chance, do give feedback to NOAA through this web site:
nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/MyNOAACharts/. There, you'll find a link to Inquiry
& Comment. Give them a piece of your mind. Or, submit comments directly to
nautical.charting at noaa.gov.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62