[C320-list] Raw Water Filter

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Fri Mar 7 20:08:52 PST 2014

Bill,
Yes, PiB can be a challenge going into mid-July thru Early Sept.  as well as
some of the marinas on the  South Side of Kelleys Island when the wind
shifts out of the S. West and the grass collects near the  shoreline piers.
That is precisely why I moved to a grill attached to the freshwater intake.
Still check the filter if I need to monitor my AC intake filter more out of
curiosity  if there is no current or wind when I am tied up to a dock. I
have not had a freshwater intake blockage in around the islands since I
installed the grill. Before the grill, I was pretty good at anticipating the
blockages within a minute or two of leaving the PiB mooring field as the
grass was either picked up or escaping from the keel in addition to the
other balls of grass dislodged by departing boats. Soon got better at
noticing when the engine exhaust note changed as the exhaust water flow
ceased. Then the drill then involved  diving to clear the blockage or
disconnecting & removing the intake hose from the freshwater seacock to
extract debris or  blow it out the intake with the dinghy pump. The mushroom
grill is the best way to go because underway the grass slides away without
being sucked into the intake.
Rick