[C320-list] Main Halyard Replacement

Myron Welch myron-welch at uiowa.edu
Fri Mar 21 08:46:47 PDT 2014

This spring I am going to replace the original main halyard on my 1995 320, #238.  I checked with two riggers at the Strictly Sail show in Chicago and one recommended New England Ropes Sta-Set and the other recommended Sta-Set X.  Of course, representatives from Yale and Sampson cordage suggested their own equivalent.  Last month I attended a Great Lakes Cruising Club rigging webinar and the rigger recommended New England Ropes VPC, which has much less stretch and about the same price as Sta-Set X.  I have read the articles by Mark Yeager and he is not a fan of New England Ropes.

Any suggestions?  We are cruisers on northern Lake Michigan and Lake Huron.

Myron Welch
Wind Instrument #238
Iowa City, Iowa
Grace Memorial Harbor