[C320-list] VHF Antenna Questions

argates2nd argates2nd at comcast.net
Wed May 14 10:37:23 PDT 2014

Jeff
Our RAM mic was the problem with symptoms u outline.  Model 23w I believe.   None are available on the web and not repairable per Std Horizon if the mic media is the problem.
Rollie.  #182

My Radio Theory is a bit rusty, so hopefully the wisdom of the crowd will
help me through this.

We have a Standard Horizon Intrepid with a remote RAM Mic. Mounted in the
cockpit.  We also have our GPS (via NMEA) connected.  Original Equipment
installed in 2000 by the dealer.

In a few instances last season, our local bridge operator indicated that we
weren't transmitting very clearly.  We don't have any problems receiving and
it's usually clear and easy to understand.  Our bridge is on channel 13 (a
low power channel) but I would expect that from a few hundred yards, this
should be a non-issue (and never was in the past).

I heard that if the Standard Horizon radio sees an antenna SWR mismatch
problem, it won't transmit full power (or at all), but may receive just
fine.  I don't know this for sure.

So.. I have a new antenna anyway and want to diagnose the problem as best I
can before I'm at the top of the mast putting on the new antenna.  There
could be connector corrosion problems, grounding problems, antenna load coil
could have gotten water damaged, etc.

I have a connection at the base of the mast before the compression tube, and
of course, a connections at the mast and radio.  I don't have an VHF SWR
meter (Might be a good toolbox item?).   Any guidance on how to best
diagnose this problem?

I don't mind going up the mast, but going up several times.. Yea, my crew
will mutiny.

-Jeff Hare

#809 Woodbine II