[C320-list] Water in light fixtures

jim brown jbrown5093 at yahoo.com
Mon May 19 13:48:22 PDT 2014

If you think that the water in the fixture is from a leaking chain plate I'm not sure it's a good idea to just seal the top plate and chain plate entry. The chain plates go through the deck from the bottom up (the plate in the interior is welded to the chain plate) at an angle but the cut out in the deck is straight up and down so the chain plate goes through at an angle. This cavity is filled with caulk that on my boat (hull 973) had dried and shrunk in the cavity creating voids that were filled with water (myleak just dripped out around the inside plate and did not get to a light fixture). When I removed the chain plate there was surface rust but no real damage. Since the design essentially forms a "bucket" with a fixed bottom, any water and moisture will remain if just the top plate is sealed. I did all my plates and even though they had not leaked, each one showed a little surface rust and were wet. I'd recommend removing the entire plate and sealing
 it properly. Fortunately the deck was entirely epoxied where the chain plates penetrated so no rot.

If you decide to do it this way you will need new and longer bolts and a few other tricks that will make the job easier.

Jim Brown   "Desafinado"