[C320-list] Backstay too short, extend it

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue May 20 09:35:54 PDT 2014

Hi,

The Forestay has a turnbuckle that will most likely give you enough
extension.  Don't forget you'll have to loosen the forward lower shrouds a
bit.

Here's the Schaefer Roller Furling Document.
http://www.catalina320.com/filemgmt/index.php?id=172

Here's a picture of the turnbuckle.  I made this adjustment several years
back in My photo album on the C320 site.
http://www.catalina320.com/mediagallery/album.php?aid=67&page=1

The process was pretty easy (the Schaefer doc is for replacing the drum.
Don't need to do very much of what is in that doc)
The one thing that is key is ensuring that when you lower the foil/drum back
down that you put the set screws in to control how far down the foil will
sit.  Just be sure that the foil doesn't slide down into contact with the
turnbuckle connectors or you'll find that the furler doesn't spin easily.
If you reassemble and it doesn't spin freely, the foil probably is down too
far.

It was an easy project and gives you a good look at how the drum assembly
works.  No bearings will spill out or anything.

If the problem is simply not being able to connect the aft shrouds, we
simply use a halyard attached to the aft cleat and winch the mast back until
the turnbuckles reach.  We do one side, then the other.

-Jeff Hare
Woodbine II #809