[C320-list] Boom Vang Hydraulic Spring

Stephen Kaplan stepkap at pacbell.net
Thu May 29 12:13:37 PDT 2014

Fellow sailors,
After twice having the topping lift wrap around and hang-up on the back stay
"V" causing damage to the boom vang saddle fasteners on the mast I have
taken to sailing w/o the topping lift.  Removes the worry of the wrap
occurring on the rather vigorous tacks common on San Francisco Bay.
However the Boom Vang hydraulic spring does not hold or lift up the boom
when furling or unfurling the main. Thus requires a crew to hold the boom to
keep it from smashing into the helm pedestal/instrument cluster.  Is this
the normal situation or has the hydraulic cylinder lost its oomph?

Steve Kaplan
Saline
Hull 980
San Francisco