[C320-list] Steve's boom vang issue

Alan Goodman goodmanalanlee at hotmail.com
Fri May 30 07:53:29 PDT 2014

Steve - I have an early hull, but in my case the boom vang is 100% spring loaded, nothing hydraulic.   Look at the piston on your vang and you should see several evenly holes (mine has 4).  There is an internal tube mechanism with one (?) hole that is lined up with the external holes and then a clevis pin is inserted through the lined up holes and secured (mine with a circular cotter pin).  You may have a missing pin.  I concur with Chris that your topping lift may be too loose when sailing.  I have a Dutchman (R) flaked sail so I need the topping lift ... if you have a furling main and proper vang, you will not need the topping lift.  However the topping lift provides a nice way to fly Old Glory at the dock or while under way.  Alan

Alan Goodman
Hull 67
Holland, MI
Eldean Shipyard Slip E-39