[C320-list] winterizing

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Nov 3 07:29:12 PST 2014

My experience is that I can get all the water out using a shop vac but Not
from the regular water heater drain fitting.  I can get all the water out
from the cold water inlet (which is just below the overflow fitting).  I
believe that inlet has a pipe that extends to the bottom of the tank feeing
cold water in at the lowest point to preserve the water heater
stratification (hottest water at the top, coldest water at the bottom).
Once the brass whale check valve is removed , from the cold water inlet,
you're sucking water from the lowest point in the tank.

When I did this the first time, I followed up with the compressor and got no
more water, so now I leave the compressor in my woodshop and shaved a bit
more time off the process.  :)

My $.02
-Jeff Hare