[C320-list] Winterizing the Air Conditioner

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Mon Nov 10 08:30:44 PST 2014

I have to respond because the winterization process I was directed to use by
my AC installer takes all of about 10 minutes,  is completed while the boat
is on the hard and the only tools involved are a screw driver and a funnel:
1st step - simply disconnect the AC water flow exit hose from the above the
water  thru-hull and blow air into that exit hose to reverse the existing AC
water that will then exit from the AC water intake (being sure the seacock
is open).  No need to use anything other than bringing the hose to your
mouth, being careful naturally to NOT INHALE thru the hose and listen for
the water to clear the intake thru-hull, or when there is no longer
pressure; 2nd Step - remove the water from the AC filter/strainer; 3rd step:
pour antifreeze with a funnel into that same exit hose you just blew clear
until the top of the hose fills, and then proceed to blow air into that hose
to force antifreeze into the unit. Repeat until about a 1/3rd of a gallon of
antifreeze is used (in my case the AC/Heat unit is located in the port
locker). 4th step -reattach the exit hose and remove the antifreeze from the
filter/strainer.  I leave the AC seacock open when I launch and start up
the  AC/Heat immediately upon returning the dock and have never had an
issue, or even an airlock error message.
Rick
My-Ria; 95 C320 Hull #277