[C320-list] Dry bilge?

jim brown jbrown5093 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 09:36:14 PST 2014

This discussions of the shaft packing has interested me. Almost everyone says that there should be no drips with the engine not in gear or off but the 320 manual says the following:
"A properly adjusted shaft packing gland should drip slightly
( fiom l to 2 drops per minute ) with the engine off. Too loose
an adjustment will allow too much water in the bilge and engine
operation will spray water from the shaft. Too t'ight an
adjustment will rob the engine of power, and the lack of water
lubrication in the packing gland can generate enough heat to
damage the gland and/or score the propeller shaft"
I guess that this is based on the traditional flax packing. At 2 drops/min and 20 drops per ml that would be about  144 cc a day (if my math is correct) I've used the Gortex packing and have adjusted to no drips when stationary and 1-2 drops when in gear. No overheating of the packing nuts and no scoring of the SS shaft for a couple of years now.

I hadn't looked a the PSS Shaft Seal site recently but they used to state that the product was used by the US Navy and now the don't advertise that. Someone mentioned that the Navy had stopped using them but I don't know if that's correct of is it is why they stopped. I did notice that they no longer offer the seal without the water connection for low rpm use like they used to. So it looks like any installation would require a water feed. Has anyone installed one recently? I was thinking of this option when the boat is next hauled but adding some gortex looks easier.

Jim Brown