[C320-list] Change oil?

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Sat Oct 4 07:06:10 PDT 2014

Here's my take on it. You can probably get away with skipping it, but is
it worth saving $75 and a few hours of your time to risk an expensive
rebuild or repower later? When you run an engine, acids build up in the
oil. When the engine sits for long periods of time, those acids can
begin to corrode the bearing surfaces of your engine. The oil change in
the fall (or before any long layup) is one of the most vital things you
can do to keep your engine tip-top.

You may not notice it right away, but over time, a little damage here, a
little damage there, from taking these shortcuts, and you're doing a
major overhaul at 5,000 hours instead of 10,000+.

Same with the impeller. Change. it. every. year. I never understand why
people take shortcuts with such quick and inexpensive maintenance when a
failure could destroy an engine.

Your call.

http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/ask-professor-diesel/are-end-season-oil-changes-really-necessary

---