[C320-list] Change oil?

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Oct 6 05:39:42 PDT 2014

Regarding the impellers, for the first 3 or 4 years, I used to change mine every spring and keep the old ones as spares.  Overkill really, as I now have lots of spares so I do this only every 3rd year now depending on how much engine time I have.  But when removing them in the spring I did see that the blade that sat over the hump remained bent back after removal.  However, looking at all the removed spares I have, they all have straight fins, so that bend is only temporary and self-correcting.  There were a few years where I pulled the impeller in the fall.  I never saw a difference either way in performance, so I would think it matters how long you leave it like that.  Multiple years?  Probably an issue.  4-6mos?  Probably no issue at all.

As for the antifreeze hardening, I only have anecdotal evidence, but my experiences with RV Antifreeze doesn't seem to match the PS report, or at least not for the durations we're talking about.  All my old spares seem about as flexible as brand new ones with no signs of cracking.  Even the recent ones that have seen a couple winters in Antifreeze.  But that's not a scientific test, so whether it's a real problem for you maybe it falls into the category of "it depends".  We use the -60 RV antifreeze in the head and the rubber pump parts in the head are in great shape, with the pump operation smooth as silk.  If the RV Antifreeze were hardening rubber parts, I'm sure this would be trashed by now.  Nothing there has been replaced since the factory installed it and having a boat full of girls, it seems to get a lot of use.  :)

But... These are just my observations, not any scientific tests.

Cheers!
-Jeff Hare