[C320-list] Antifreeze in water lines

Allan S Field allan.field at verizon.net
Tue Oct 14 19:00:14 PDT 2014

The 9/2014 edition of Practical Sailor  had a review of winterizing glycols.
Following is what they had to say about Skol Vodka:

"A bottom-shelf spirit, cheap vodka is often touted as an alternative to
conventional winterizing agents.  The primary positive that some tout -
which we determined to be untrue during testing for a future article - is
that it leaves less aftertaste in the plumbing than glycols.  Weak,
fermented vodka made the most disgusting mix.  Where vodka falls down is in
the price category.  In the U.S., it is more than four times more expensive
than the least expensive propylene-glycol alternative.  We also worry about
making sure we get the right dilution when mixing with water in the system.
Bottom line: Not Recommended."

Personally, I use a shop vac and air compressor to get all the water out of
the system.  I also use it for the A/C unit.  Special care must be given to
getting all the water out of the hot water heater (thus the shop vac's main
use) and the deck shower.  The air compressor was amortized after year one
and I have never had a problem with any kind of freezing.  Sea Shadow stays
in the water year round so the pink stuff goes into the: electric bilge
pump; manual bilge pump; macerator; salt water anchor wash down pump;
commode and holding tank; sink drains (after using the wet vac to get out as
much water as possible); and fridge drain and pump.  I use less than 6
gallons of pink stuff per year including 2 for the engine.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD