[C320-list] neutral or in gear while under sail

jim brown jbrown5093 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 08:33:59 PDT 2014

I agree with Martin. When sailing in reverse the transmission will be very hard to shift into neutral and forcing it will do damage to the linkage and/or tranny. The engine can, and should, be started in reverse and then shifted into neutral. Apparently this will not harm the tranny. I also learned at the Yanmar engine course that the newer engines have a lock out feature as a safety feature and cannot be started when in gear. They were getting a lot of emergency calls from people who could not start the engine and could not get it out of gear after sailing in reverse so they were "stuck". So the advisory. They said never, never sail with the tranny in forward. At least that is what they told me.

Jim Brown