[C320-list] Bilge High Water Alarm with Secondary Bilge Pump Project Details

danny jensen danny at jensenshouse.com
Mon Oct 20 11:52:04 PDT 2014

Dear Group:

Here are the details of my bilge makeover project on my 2004 Catalina 320. Thank you all for your contributions. Hopefully this will help you. See the links to the photos below.

BACKGROUND:
I often single hand my boat as much as 20 miles off shore. I currently have an electric diaphragm 5 GPM
Jabsco pump and a 28 GPM Whale manual pump. If I’m driving the boat , it is not likely I would notice a
big leak until it was too late. If I did have a big leak in the boat, my current electric pump would not be
able to keep up and it would not be possible for me to operate the manual pump *and* fix the leak at
the same time. Leaks are harder to find in a swamped boat. An independent $50 high water bilge alarm in the cockpit would alarm me at sea and my dock neighbors while on docked that my primary pump is not able to keep up with my pumping
capacity.

It is often the case that leaks occur over a long period of time and go unnoticed because automatic bilge
pumps pump the evidence overboard. This evidence pumped overboard is often an indication that
some critical maintenance is necessary. Pump cycle counters give you issue recognition. A pump counter costs
under $50 and is relatively easy to install.

My existing 5 GPM pump works great at removing almost all water from the bilge. Installing a high
capacity secondary pump with an independent float switch would provide for backup of my primary
pump. The backup pump should almost never cycle.

Requirements:
1. Install an high water alarm under locker in cockpit
 a. The high water alarm will have an independent switch level above the primary pump
switch.
2. Install an electric bilge counter on my current primary electric pump so I will know when the
primary pump has been cycling. This will give me advance information about any leaks I may
have before they become big leaks.
3. Install high water submersible Rule 3700 as secondary high water pump
 a. Switch and pump will be slightly higher than existing. Build a starboard bilge shelf to
suspend new pump and high water switch.
 b. Install new 1.5 inch hose and new through hull. No check valves will be used.
 c. Wire high water pump/alarm to battery via an existing 24hr fuse box already feeding
my Xantrex battery monitor independent of my battery switch. I will use a heat shrink
connectors with terminal blocks dipped in liquid electrical tape to make the new pump
terminations. My bilge is very dry all the time thanks to gortex packing material.

Parts List:
AQA20045  AQUALARM BILGE PUMP COUNTER  1  42.46  42.46  EAC
AQA20043  AQUALARM BILGE PUMP MONITOR - 12 VOLT  1  91.69  91.69  EAC
AQA20240  AQUALARM HIGH WATER WARNING, BLACK WITH 208A  1  44.92  44.92  EAC
AQA20090  AQUALARM PS-309-12 PUMP SWITCH, 12 VOLT  1  30.15  30.15  EAC
TRI147-1126  TRIDENT VAC XHD BILGE AND LIVE WELL "SUPER FLEXIBLE" HEAVY SMOOTH WALL, BLACK 1.5 in x50/ Reel Box
Heat Shrink Butt Splice Connectors (Genuinedealz.com)
Heat Shrink Ring Connectors to terminate
Terminal Block Connectors
Black Starboard 4’x4’ x ½  (bought from Defender.com) $70
Rule 3700 model 14a manual pump
Blue Sea Fuse Box for 24 hour DC supply
Marine Boat wire (see schematic)
Split Loom tubing
Plastic Project Electric box
Carlton Electric J Box

Required Reading:
All About Bilge Pumps by David H. Pascoe, Marine Surveyor
http://marinesurvey.com/yacht/bilge_pumps.htm

Detailed photos and schematics can be found at:
http://www.mammothcondos.com/Catalina-320-bilge-pump-electrical-schematic-v1.pdf
http://www.mammothcondos.com/Catalina-320-bilge-pump-v1.pdf
http://www.catalina320.com/mediagallery/album.php?aid=278 (membership required)

Danny Jensen