[C320-list] Mast water leak.

Onat Dogruer onat_s at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 3 11:36:56 PDT 2014

Hello all,

Been somewhat new to the group and haven't chimed in much before. My wife and I spent a good chunk of the summer on board, cruising as much as we could. Our boat has endured a lot of pounding, heavy swells and 40+knot winds in a few occasions. All the usual - ports leaking...otherwise, she is a good boat.

However, we have noticed that this summer our mast step has developed a leak at the top of the compression post - the water is penetrating on the outside of the white collar (where the compression post ties to maststep) and slowly making its way down the compression post. This seem to be happening only when it is raining heavily (not even with the water flowing over the bow). When we returned to homeport, we used water from high pressure hose to blast around the mast step and not a single drip!  I've seen the previous posts about the step drains potentially being clogged but this one puzzles us. We just had the mast unstepped last winter for maintenance and there was no problem. So, after getting over the stages of anger, denial, and acceptance, we are preparing to haul out and unstep the mast again this winter (along with a few other projects). From what I observe (I will be able to better judge when we unstep), we will have to rebed the maststep. If
 anyone has worked on a similar problem and has photographs of the top of the compression post and maststep off, please let me know as I would love to see them.I am including the hull/year at the bottom of the email. Otherwise, I will photograph the entire area, including the rebedding of deckstep and top of compression post and post it online.

-Onat
S/V Kittiwake
1998 #546