[C320-list] Shake-down cruise

Larry Frank WindSwept at stx.rr.com
Tue Sep 9 19:13:07 PDT 2014

Kenny,

Congratulations on your purchase and initial cruise.

Some voltage regulators have a time delay before they turn on the
alternator.  The idea is the soft start is easier on the engine and belt.
If you have an external voltage regulator this could be the case.  If you
have the OEM alternator without an external regulator then this would not
be the case.

If the tachometer always starts the same amount of time after starting the
engine it probably is a regulator setting.  Once you measure how many
seconds the delay is, try turning the ignition key for that amount of time
and then pushing the start button.  If the alternator begins reading
immediately after starting the engine then this is probably a further
indication it is a regulator setting.  Of course if you have found the
regulator and have the manual then this is the best way to figure things
out.

The atch should read about 3,600 at WOT in neutral.  If it does it is
probably reading correctly.

Larry
WindSwept
C320 #246 (with Westerbeke!)