[C320-list] Worktop damage - any ideas how

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Sep 19 06:42:22 PDT 2014

Hi,

This isn't Corian brand, but it is a solid surface material.  You may be
able to get information from Catalina on this material.  Then hunt down a
Sample or scrap online or a local dealer or even catalina itself.  Get about
1sq/ft of material if you can so that it can be cut and worked with some
room for error.  (remember the fridge and dry storage covers are the solid
material). You (or a counter top guy) could then cut out that corner and
install a new piece.  That kind of material glues up go not show any seams
and you can sand out with very fine (2000 grit) paper and put a mirror
finish on it.

If I were doing this myself, I'd cut out the damaged edge of the backsplash
about 1/2" up from the counter top and stop at the end of the damage just
around the corner.
Then a new piece could be fabricated to replace that entire forward facing
edge of the backsplash.  It would get routed, glued and sanded. A small
bench belt or disk sander will let you slowly "mill" the new piece to fit.

Bottom line, this can be repaired quickly by any solid surface counter top
guy, just get a good sized scrap for him/her to work with.  The material
that isn't pre-formed into countertops typically comes in 1/2" thickness
sheets and is stacked, glued, routed sanded into thicknesses and shapes you
need.

I wouldn't "patch" it with any kind of filler because this material usually
blends nicely without showing seams, especially since the aggregate pattern
is so small and random.

My $.02
-Jeff Hare