[C320-list] Dodger and Bimini fabricators

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue Apr 7 19:34:32 PDT 2015

Hello,

While I won't make any recommendations outside of the Massachusetts
north-shore area, I can offer some pointers on what you might want to ask
your prospective canvas fabricator.

use.  Polyester V92 UV resistant thread is about $15 for a small spool. It
used to be the standard.  It'll last a few years.  SolarFix or Tenara thread
is a PTFE pretty much lifetime guaranteed thread that's a ton stronger and
costs well over $120 for the same little spool. This stuff has to be cut
with scissors, not even a hot knife goes through it. If you drive a hard
bargain, these are the first kinds of things that get compromised.  You
won't be happy.  Insist on either SolarFix or Tenara and get it in writing.

* Window material:  O'Sea makes one of the best clear vinyl window materials
out there today.  I think it's US made, has maximum UV stability, great
scratch and chemical resistant barrier. Unaffected by sun tan lotion, insect
repellant, jet fuel vapor, etc..  Strataglass is also very popular name also
but doesn't hold up to chemicals as well but does block 100% of UV.
Personally, I prefer that my windows all have covers and use twist-lock
(common sense fasteners) to hold them on.  This makes a huge difference in
the life you get out of the glass, but some fabricators will tell you they
don't work.  Ours are 14 years old and are still perfectly clear.

* If the fabricator says they can just make a new dodger/bimini using your
old one as a pattern, don't walk, RUN the other way.  They are not a
fabricator you want to work with.  This does not work (unless you don't care
about having a nice tight, properly fitting dodger/bimini/connector anyway).
You cannot pattern a new piece of canvas from an already tensioned piece.
It will be a floppy mess within a year because of the way the materials
shrink/stretch and mold to the frame.  You won't be happy.

* If a fabricator says that they'll need to do some work to adjust your
frame, Let them.  Just because your old frame held your last dodger/bimini
just fine doesn't mean that it's still shaped perfectly for building a new
one based on how new fabric gets tensioned.  A good fabricator will
pre-tension the frame, make a pattern out of Tyvek or other pattern material
and when the new canvas goes on it'll be drum tight and shrink/stretch and
become a perfect fit over the first few weeks.  (window material will
shrink, Sunbrella will shrink differently width vs length) etc.

* If you're trying to replace just a dodger or just a bimini and want
someone to make a connector between a new and old part, it's actually a good
sign when the fabricator suggests that if you can't do the whole thing now,
maybe wait a year and then get the whole thing done at once.  They're not
just trying to sell you more stuff, it's about the way the tensioning works
between new and old canvas.  Also, you'll likely be back in a few years to
have the other piece redone and will again have this mismatch between the
tensions of fabric (which produces ripples and lines that look
unprofessional).  So while it seems "simple" it's really really difficult to
get a good fit this way.  Good fabricators won't want that as an example of
their work as it hurts business.

Finally, there can be a pretty wide difference in price between a very well
done dodger/bimini/connector and a poorly made one but there doesn't have to
be that wide of a difference.  Ask to see several examples of their work for
the style of dodger you're asking to be made. Don't argue price or try to
work one canvas maker's price against the other.  There's never a reason for
a good fabricator to have a sale, so beware.  Good fabricators are busy, bad
ones aren't or will lowball the price to get the work.  There are always
exceptions of course.

I'm much more observant when I look at canvas work in the marina these days
and it's getting easier to spot the good work from the junk.  More canvas
fabrication classes lined up this fall for us!

There... :)  That's my $.02

Cheers!
-Jeff Hare