[C320-list] Perkins M30 Owners - Exhaust Mixing Elbow

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 19 15:02:17 PDT 2015

Back to serious posts. Just completed replacement of the exhaust elbow.
Unlike some of the later engines, the Perkins elbow is cast iron and ours
has been in-place 20 yrs and over 2,000 hrs. Knowing now what I learned with
this project, I wouldn't have waited for a failure. I recommend pulling the
elbow every 5 years, having it cleaned, and de-carbonizing the exhaust port
in the block. (Replace with a new gasket and sealant.)

What happened was not a catastrophic failure. There is a burn-thru in the
side of the casting that allowed hot water and junk to run down the side of
the elbow into the pit below with nothing more than some rust stains on the
block. I got prices in the US for $400 and up for the elbow. I found a
distributor in GB and save myself $100. I made the payment in Euros via
PayPal and the transaction was as easy as poop through a goose. Now we are
waiting our spring launch to test it out.

I have lots of pictures and plan on doing an article for the web site and
maybe for the Mainsheet. Now, we are up to our ears with boat duty and home
duty, so it may take a while.

If anyone has specific questions, just reply.

Warren and Pattie Updike

1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62