[C320-list] Boarding Ladder

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Apr 20 08:30:42 PDT 2015

"water runs downhill"

>From my perspective, that seems true unless you're in Australia.  Seems to
me it's uphill then.  :)

-----Original Message-----
From: C320-list [mailto:c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com] On Behalf
Of JJ Morrison
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 10:44 AM
To: Catalina List
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Boarding Ladder

You'll never prevent water from getting into the tubes. I have drilled small
holes into the top of the tubes near the attachment hinges with the ladder
DOWN. When the ladder is raised the holes are facing downward and the water
runs out. It works because it follows one of the theorems of Civil
engineering "water runs downhill".CheersJohnM1999#574

> From: Catalina at thehares.com
> To: C320-List at Catalina320.com
> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 08:40:22 -0400
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Boarding Ladder
>
> If I had to guess, the reason for the switch may have to do with water
> leaking into the ladder through the rivets even though they typically
> put a layer of caulking over them.  When you raise the ladder, you
> could be getting seawater inside the ladder tubes.
>
> Given the choice, I'd maybe consider not using rivets or if you do,
> drill small weep holes at the end of the tubes near the hinge for
> drainage when the ladder is raised.  I might even consider using the
devil's glue 5200
> instead of rivets.  :)   But really I haven't done my homework on this
> topic.
>
> -Jeff

Catalina?

 		 	   		  =