[C320-list] Radar Mount... Pole, Backstay or Mast?

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Mon Apr 20 14:55:30 PDT 2015

Jeff,

A friend of mine was recently shopping for a 320 and I have been
accompanying him to look at them. We looked at one a couple of weeks ago
that had a pole mounted radar on the swim step aft with a stabilizer
bracket attached to the stern rail. It was still a little too flimsy for
my taste and the step had quite a bit of crazing around the mounting
plate. I was unable to get a look underneath to see what type of backing
plate was installed due to a lot of stuff piled in the aft berth. The
other thing I did not like was that the stern rail seemed to be coming
loose, no doubt from the added stress of supporting the radar pole. Not
a deal breaker for a purchase but having seen it, I don't think I would
do a similar install on my boat.

If you contact me privately I will tell you the name of the boat but I
am not going to "out" them publicly on the list.

---
Doug Treff
September Song - #350
doug at treff.us