[C320-list] Perkins M30 Owners - Exhaust Mixing Elbow

Warren wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 21 06:02:44 PDT 2015

It seems I did not have as much carbon build-up as you describe, and it was
concentrated at the opening to the housing. Looking inside beyond the
opening I saw no apparent build-up. I did chip away most of the carbon at
the opening but was careful not to impact the casting. I didn't remove the
housing so I can't say what is the condition of the exhaust ports you
describe.

I bought my elbow from WelandPower.com in GB. They were very helpful and
responded quickly. Use PayPal to send dollars as Euros. It works well and
if far less expensive than wire transfers.

Any brand of high-temperature gasket cement is appropriate. You will find
it at West Marine or any auto store.

Given that the cast Perkins elbow lasted 20 yrs without maintenance, I'll
stick with Perkins parts.

Reconnecting the elbow was not a problem. I attached the hose first to the
elbow. I used a tail pipe expander with heat gun to expand the hose to
accept the elbow. Then, it was not hard to get the hose on the muffler, and
it was flexible enough that I could get the elbow on the studs with a
little effort. Just be sure there is enough hose on the muffler pipe to
allow two hose clamps.

I learned, too late, that Vetus makes a corrugated 2-wire hose that is
rather more flexible than the single wire rubber hose that Catalina used.
Next time, I will use that. Being more flexible means less stress on the
muffler, and less vibration transmitted to the hull.

Sorry to hear you are selling the boat. I trust you are buying another.
Warren