[C320-list] 2 coats of VC17.

Jerry Brown jbrown01015 at outlook.com
Mon Apr 27 08:41:52 PDT 2015

Marek

I barrier coated from new.  it may have been overkill but it made me feel
better.  I then applied 3 coats of VC17. I found that it paid to wait
overnight between coats despite the quick dry nature of VC 17.  I suspect
VC17 stays a bit soft when first applied but that assumption has no
scientific basis.  The other possible point is the type of roller material.
I now put on a new coat of VC17 each season and a double coat where the
barrier coat can be seen, such as the leading edge of the wing keel.  These
days I use a foam roller which is not impacted by the VC 17 solvent (I am
not sure what the foam actually is).  A local chandler sells the foam roller
specifically for applying VC 17.  The foam seems to have less of a
"stripping" effect than other roller materials but it has to be replenished
frequently as it holds little VC 17 compared to a regular foam roller.  With
the VC17 specific roller I can get two coats on effectively with about a 2
hour gap between coats.

Jerry Brown
Indigo #1137