[C320-list] Rigging

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Wed Apr 29 08:07:40 PDT 2015

Bill,
About 9 years ago I replaced the standing rigging and beefed up the aft
split backstay wires and turnbuckles because my rigger witnessed several 20+
year old backstays failing out here in the Great Lakes region in the western
basin of Lake Erie. The total cost was just over 3K excluding mast up & down
costs from the yard because I had the rigging work done over the winter and
installed before launch. The rigger did  all of the work. He reused all of
the factory turnbuckles but replaced the smaller backstay turnbuckles when
he upgraded the split backstay wires. As it turned out, I kept the 12 year
old rigging and intend to reuse it when I take down the mast next year. Less
frequent mast removals over the years paid for the new rigging after 10
years with periodic inspections every few years. Freshwater rigging will
last well over 20 years if cared for properly/periodically inspected.
Avoiding annual mast removals actually prevents damage to the rigging caused
by a rushed or inexperienced yard crew. The only regret I have is that I
allowed the rigger to cut the old headstay off because he wanted to avoid
breaking down the roller furler foil and then having to screw it all back
together,. which he found troublesome from past experiences, He wanted to
avoid having to drill out the fasteners connecting the foil sections.
Instead he ran the new wire through the length of the assembled foil and
then swaged the headstay fittings in the field using a hydraulic tool he
could place in the bed of his truck.
Rick 95 320 hull #277