[C320-list] Solar bimini

Greg Flanagan greg.flanagan at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 29 15:18:39 PDT 2015

I installed a 140W solar panel on my Bimini with a GoPower 30 amp regulator. This was extremely easy to do. This panel gives a theoretical 10 amps @ 14V. I have seen it as high as 9 amps. This has proved fantastic and I strongly recommend it. I have 2 X 2d batteries for the house and a separate starter battery in the aft cockpit locker. This battery (marine Diehard) has a shutoff in the aft berth. When I shut the engine seacock I shut the battery off so I don't start it without water. I shut off both these when the boat is idle for any length of time. This battery is charged by an Xantrex Echo charger. The shore charger is a Charles 5000 30 amp unit. The Alternator (Yanmar engine) is 60 amp.

I have just replaced the house battery (flooded). These were 6 years old and one went into thermal overdrive due to a dead cell. I replaced with 2X 2d AMG sealed units by FullRiver. I am currently installing a Balmar Smartgauge so I have a better idea of the state of charge on these when I am sailing/anchoring for extended periods, with only the solar charge. I can report on this meter after some use.

Hoop Dancer #1076

Greg
Sidney, BC