[C320-list] Check your stem fitting - near catastrophic failure to C320

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Wed Aug 12 08:45:55 PDT 2015

Further updates on this

The following photo (which you will need to copy the link and paste into your browser, to view) shows the fracture face of the stem head fitting.
You can quite clearly see where the cracks have started (one on each side) and how it has progressed, with a series of concentric semicircles.
Obviously the darker rust marks are where the crack started, ie it has had longer to rust, and I believe this is essentially ‘crevice corrosion’

The ‘clean’ un-rusted part is all that was holding everything together before it gave way!

( Many if not most of you will hopefully already be aware of this , but for those that aren’t, basically, even stainless steel will rust if the water is de-oxygenated which happens wehre it stagnates in tiny little cracks and crevices)

http://i59.tinypic.com/9zoaqf.jpg
and
http://i58.tinypic.com/30c595i.jpg

My own boat http://i58.tinypic.com/2jcbqdk.jpg seems to have a hairline crack in the weld and will require further inspection.  The identical fitting from a Catalina 36 is shown for comparison in these other photos http://i62.tinypic.com/116tjyr.jpg

Strongly suggest that this is worth double checking on your own boat!

HGraeme