[C320-list] Repairs for Legacy Autopilots

Beverly Wright bev.wright at verizon.net
Thu Aug 13 13:24:15 PDT 2015

Thanks to Warren Updike and Robert Sloat for posting back in 2013 and 2014
that Dan Gerhardt (Durango, CO) can fix the ST 4000+ autopilot control head.
I sent Dan our head control unit and he had it fixed in one day and returned
to me two days later.  The integrated chip that processes the compass output
failed and Dan put in a new chip. My autopilot now works again, although it
still needs a bit of calibration, being about 10 degrees off the compass
heading.  We'll figure that out but this was the best $100 I've ever spent
on my boat.  If I would have needed a new autopilot, from everything I'm
reading on this forum, I would have needed other new instruments as well.
For now, for our Chesapeake Bay sailing, this will work!  I'm probably the
last C320 owner with these instruments who has not already had them fixed by
Dan, but I did want to sing his praises.  It sounds like he's a whiz if you
have new Raymarine instruments giving you fits.

Bev Wright

Whoosh #15

Edgewater, MD