[C320-list] Approaches for mounting a TV antenna?

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 20 11:57:56 PDT 2015

Rod, I have avoided mounting a tV antenna. None I've tried have been worth
the effort. Even a powered Motorola one. I had a large unpowered, circular
antenna I would hoist on a halyard to the spreader. This gave reasonable
reception but was a pain to store due to its size. I even did a study to
compare an indoor antenna to the outdoor one. I'll send it to you. Keep in
mind that my "study" was done 3 years ago. Now we use a simple, unpowered,
digital antenna for TV when we can get a signal. Mostly, we use our TV/DVD
for movies from Netflix or library.

Digital broadcast TV is very sensitive to boat movement to the point that
even small displacements of the antenna (un-smooth water surface,) will
cause pixilation and loss of signal. I don't know if this problem is
improved with a fixed-mount, powered, current design.

Just yesterday, ActiveCaptain newsletter featured a fixed-mount, powered,
Digital Yacht DTV100 HD TV and FM Radio Antenna for $166 at Defender
http://www.defender.com/activecaptain.jsp. It was given high marks by
ActiveCaptain. Be sure to use the ActiveCaptain code for the price. Check it
out. I'm sure many of us will be interested to hear how it does.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62