[C320-list] Companionway Step Weld Failure

John Zienda jzienda at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 28 06:44:26 PDT 2015

Brian,You need to weld stainless steel material with a stainless steel wire.  My recommendation would be to take the stairs to the local weld or fab shop. By the time you find a portable welding machine, buy the wire, and rick insufficient weld. You will have it doe correctly. The challenge you will face is post welding heat discoloration.  What will help is to wire brush the weld immediately after the welding. Use any brass (not steel) wire brush and clean the weld as good as you can.  You can finish it up with a Scotch -Brite pad.  Applying light coat of WD-40 or any other light oil on to the welded area will slow down the rusting process.  There are some chemicals that you could get to eliminate rusting all together, however, since this welded are will not be visible, I  would not bother, unless the weld shop would have something like that.
Good luck with your project.
John Zienda#691 "Zooza" Chicago, IL