[C320-list] Companionway Step Weld Failure

Bill Lowe wflowe3 at aim.com
Sun Aug 30 06:30:33 PDT 2015

 How much does a new set of steps cost?

-----Original Message-----
From: Kaare Wold <sailor3952 at charter.net>
To: C320-List <C320-List at Catalina320.com>
Sent: Sat, Aug 29, 2015 11:26 am
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Companionway Step Weld Failure

Brian, RUN from having your neighbor attempt this.  The thin gage stainless
tubing should only be welded using the TIG process by a welder experienced
with tube fabrication.  MIG wire welding will result in a disaster with
unsightly appearance and far more deposited weld metal than necessary. Now
you have a grinding mess to deal with.
The electropolished tubing used for this application (ladders, handrails
etc.) is thin gage, and not the heavier standard schedules used for
industrial piping applications.  Bottom line.  This is a job requiring an
experienced welder using the proper equipment.
Kaare Wold  Sheet Music #945
Welding Engineer when not sailing.