[C320-list] Raymarine EV-200 Autopilot upgrade project

danny jensen danny at jensenshouse.com
Wed Dec 16 09:03:45 PST 2015

PROJECT

I just finished the my hull #972 Catalina 320 autopilot upgrade from a
wheel based autopilot to a Raymarine EV-200 autopilot using a tiller based
Type 1 linear drive.  The autopilot is integrated with the Raymarine e7
MFD. I used a boat electronics guy to do the install

INSTALLATION

The install took a bunch of time about 38 hours of a paid installers time.
I used Jeff Hare’s detailed instructions (also thanks to Allen Field for
sharing his design with Jeff). It was interesting how at first, my
installer was not excited about installing the tiller arm forward. Then he
wanted to take up the entire starboard locker. I insisted to Jeff's/Allen's
design and in the end, he thought the design was the best possible choice.
I did however, deviate by with the rudder tracking sensor. I'll post
pictures on the C320 site. Jeff was currently working on a rudder stop but
I used the factory rudder stop unchanged.  I talked to Reid at Edson and
ordered the tiller and he said the linear drive needed to be in the middle
of the tiller arm not on the top. This mounting is not feasible according
to Jeff and I agree. My install did drill a hole through the rudder post
pinning the tiller arm to the rudder as recommended by Edson. Jeff used
another method on his install. I copied Jeff's backing plates sandwiching
the aft cabin bulkhead.

PERFORMANCE

The interesting thing was I lost no turning radius. We used my existing
cable stop setting. The installer said he just finished another Catalina
and he said that boat lost some turning radius due to the way they had
rigged the rudder stop from the factory.

Jeff was right about the wheel feeling a bit stiff now because it pushes
against the linear drive motor. It is not so bad but it is not a light
touch.

Wow. The auto pilot is really smooth and turns on a dime and rolls out to
course perfectly. I've only driven in flat water so far. The wheel does not
move much and it does not over correct like the old wheel steering.

COST

The total cost of the project with install was $6,920. It was $1,500 more
than I thought mainly because of install labor. It was very expensive and
hard to justify but I single hand a bunch in heavy seas so I think I’ll use
my boat more and will be willing to take longer trips. My boats electronics
guy says the wheel type auto pilots usually last only 10 years as most and
the replacement cost is about $3,000 so you are paying about 2 x the
replacement cost of the wheel based system for the linear drive... And you
will be replacing your autopilot on your schedule not your boats schedule.
The old auto pilots are now out of production I guess? ... It is expensive.
Not doubt about it.

Description

vendor

pn