[C320-list] Shaft Log Hose Emergency Repair - Experience to Pass Along

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Mon Jul 20 14:09:33 PDT 2015

Dave,  I suggest that you replace the exhaust hose substitute when you haul out because the exhaust hose can be problematic as a long term replacement. Just do an internet search to learn about the issues surrounding long term use of an exhaust hose as a shaft log hose.  I installed 4 & ¾ in. length of 1 & 5/8ths ID Buck Algonquin shaft log hose this past spring that I purchased from Deep Blue Yacht Supply, model # 80HO162512. My  total cost with shipping for a minimum Deep Blue Supply purchase of the 1 & 5/8ths ID had to be 12 inches long for $38 including shipping. I have more than half of it left if you want it for $20 and that will include me shipping it to you at Mukilteo, WA. You or anyone else could contact me at my email address if you are interested.

I also used SS solid band bolt compression clamps at the outer most edge of the new hose alongside SS slotted band clamps to tightly secure the hose to the hull shaft tube and the shaft log. The replacement hose is much more robust and stiffer than the original Catalina hose. I spoke to Catalina tech support before installing the stiffer hose just to learn if there is any reason not to use a more robust/stiffer hose.  There is now much less engine movement/vibration at the shaft log resulting in the two new rings of ¼ inch GFO packing to become almost dripless, but for a very occasional drop when the shaft is turning at 4-6 knots.

My old hose was 20 seasons old used in freshwater boat 6 months each year (1,300 hours). The hose was beginning to show some inside ridges where is was wearing against the hull tube and the edge of the shaft log. For me, the biggest challenge was having to use a coupler remover and slowly cut away some of the old hose to make the space needed to re-tighten the coupler remover against the shaft coupler to completely drive out the shaft. The SS shaft had been interference fitted (very tightly) to  a new shaft coupler when I replaced the bronze shaft 15 years ago.

I found it helpful to drive the key into the shaft coupler from the engines side vs. pressing the shaft into the couple with the key installed from the hose side, because the  hull was flexed in a cradle over the winter and shaft coupler with a key installed from the hose side was still tight enough to bind the edge of the shaft halfway inside the re-entered coupler when the coupler was secured on the engine. Since I could still  reuse the original shaft coupler I elected to press the key into the coupler from the engine side because that also ensured another tight shaft to coupler fit that was additionally  secured by the set screws that were correctly aligned to the shaft dimples (and secured with wire) to keep the shaft from backing out while the transmission was in reverse. I also placed the shaft zinc just about 1 & 1/4 inches from the strut as a precaution if the coupler fit or shaft set screws ever failed to secure the shaft to the coupler, and that way the shaft would not completely exit the shaft log if I lost propeller power by backing out the shaft from the coupler  when using reverse.
Rick
My-Ria, 95' 320 hull #277