[C320-list] Fwd: Wheel Steering Safety Notice

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Fri Jul 24 07:42:21 PDT 2015

OK - I decided to go straight to the horse's mouth on this one. These
are Edson parts, so I thought a call to them was in order. I spoke with
"Ed" in technical support and here is what he told me:

"It is NOT a dissimilar metals issue. These parts are known to last 30
years or more in a properly cared for system. What is happening in some
cases is that water sometimes gets into the pedestal from above (around
the compass, etc) and drips down onto the steel plate in question. Over
time, especially in a salt water environment, the plate will rust and
weaken, resulting in a failure condition if it is allowed to progress
too far. Edson recommends regular inspection of the entire system and
this plate is one of the inspection items. The inspection checklist
actually calls for replacement of this plate if rust or corrosion is
detected."

I asked Ed, in particular, what should we be looking for with this
issue? His response:

"Carefully inspect the idler pulley plate from below and look for flecks
of rust on the bottom of the plate. Also look for rust particles that
may have collected inside the removable inspection cover. If you have a
small mirror and a flashlight, it may be possible (depending on the way
the system was installed) to get a peek at the top surface of the plate
as well. If you find any corrosion or rust on this plate, then the
replacement part would be recommended as soon as possible."

Additionally, Ed emailed me an Edson publication titled "Sailboat
Steering Inspection" which I have uploaded to the association site at:
http://www.catalina320.com/filemgmt_data/files/EB372SteeringInspection.pdf
This inspection should be carried out annually.

Furthermore, Ed said that if any of you have additional questions, to
feel free to contact Edson tech support at (508) 995-9711 and they will
be glad to help.

I hope this calms some fears and clears up any misinformation that may
be out there...

---
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us