[C320-list] Fwd: Wheel Steering Safety Notice

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Jul 24 08:16:08 PDT 2015

Thanks Doug,

It's always good to work through the facts first.  The problem and
conclusions seem to make more sense now.  The key really seems to be how
well each individual boat managed to keep seawater out of the compass area.
Since both the plate and the pulley system are steel, the corrosion here
isn't likely one of dissimilar metals, but one of seawater corrosion.  One
could argue that all the parts should have been stainless.  My guess is that
galvanic corrosion is MORE likely with the new aluminum plate than with the
steel against steel system previously installed.

So, if you DO install the new plate, use lots of TefGel grease anywhere
steel contacts aluminum and you should be fine.

My opinions here of course.
-Jeff  Hare
2001 #809