[C320-list] Raw Water Strainer Change?

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Jun 5 13:56:01 PDT 2015

At the risk of using up my weekly quota of questions,  has anyone replaced
the stock raw water strainer with one of these top access ones?

Groco ARG-755-S  Series Raw Water Strainer
* Ports: 3/4" Female NPT, Material: Bronze
* Dimensions: 6.38" H x 5.25" W
* Filter Basket: Stainless Steel

I wonder if it would fit.  Looks like you can inspect it and clean it out
from the top instead of wrestling to unscrew the bowl.  I have one of those
stick-on press-on/off LED lights that shines across my fuel filter bowl and
water filter so that I can see if there is anything in there to empty.

I'd be inclined to use a 90 degree sweeping bronze elbow tailpiece instead
of bending the hose all crazy like the factory does.

TIP:
I keep a short piece of clear 3/4" hose  and a slightly longer piece of 3/8"
OD hose on board (for clearing the intake thru-hull in the event of a clog.
If I get an engine thru-hull clog, I close the thruhull, pull the intake
hose, and attach the short piece of clear hose pointing straight up.  Then I
can open the thru-hull and poke the other hose down through and clear the
jam without getting any water in the boat.

I've had to do this a few times and it was really easy. With clear hose, I
could see where the water line is and cut it a few inches longer so I can
open the thruhull and work the clog without water coming into the boat.
Then, just blow down through the hose to empty the water out of it and close
the thru-hull so that you can pull the clear hose without dumping any water
while you are replacing it with the actual intake hose.  I put a tiny bit of
"Marlube" grease to the tailpieces so that I can remove and reinstall the
hoses without feeling like I'll damage anything removing or reinstalling the
hoses.  It's also a good time put a dab of the lube on a ball valve itself
so that keeps operating smoothly.

-Jeff