[C320-list] Boom

DennyBrowne@Verizon.net dennybrowne at verizon.net
Sat Jun 6 12:19:55 PDT 2015

I'm moving my mainsheet controls from the two cabintop winches to a 6:1
block and tackle controlled at the traveler car. We mostly race, and the
winches are too important at the marks for the halyards. We also use the
cabintop winches for spinnaker sheets.

The mainsheet currently attaches to the boom in two places: forward is a
double block, and a couple of feet aft is a single block. This seems to make
sense to me, as it distributes the downforce over a greater area, rather
than concentrating it all on one point. For this reason, I'm going to a
triple block with a cam cleat and becket on the traveler, and keeping the
double and single blocks on the boom.

My question is: Does this really matter? Is the boom stout enough to handle
the full sheet load at a single point?

Any thoughts are appreciated, and if anyone knows the part number of a 2002
C320 boom, I can check with Rig-Rite.

Thanks,

Denny Browne

A Cappella #935