[C320-list] Freshwater pump replacement

Gene Helfman genehelfman at gmail.com
Fri May 1 09:57:08 PDT 2015

Satori's (1997/#398) original eqpt. drinking/bathing/washing pump (Shurflo #
2088-423-244) has finally died after warning us repeatedly for two years.
In trying to get it out, I've found I don't have enough joints nor a long
enough arm to reach everything, particularly the electrical connections.
Fellow sailors here say every boat has parts that will fail but are
unreachable by normal human beings; some are put in place before the deck
and hull are joined or cabinets are closed.  They say bite the bullet and
cut out a section of non-structural fiberglass to make your life easier.
So:

1 Has anyone done this?  I'm thinking of cutting out a door under the chart
table but there's still lots of stuff in the way.  Coming from the oven or
port food/pot locker side doesn't seem practical.

2. Recommended replacement pump that folks are happy with?  Shurflo says
the 2088-423-244 has been replaced by model #3901-0216. Can I assume that
all the connections match up?

3.  I'd rather replace the whole thing (about $100) rather than tear it
down and replace parts, given my track record of repairing electrical stuff
and winding up with things still in the tray after re-assembly.

thanks,
gene

--
Gene Helfman, Professor Emeritus
Odum School of Ecology, University of Georgia
    genehelfman at gmail.com

"You noticed nobody gives a damn about beached minnows."