[C320-list] Freshwater pump replacement

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon May 4 15:00:49 PDT 2015

For an even quieter pump, the Jabsco Sensor Max VSD 4.5 gal/min has worked out well for us and can run dry.  I think they don't make this particular one anymore, like what Chris said about the ShurFlo VSD.  The V-Flo 5.0 is the newer version.  (We have both a ShurFlo VSD and the SensorMax VSD because ShurFlo gave me one at a trade show).  Liked them both, but the ShurFlo was even quieter for some reason.

Contrary to what some say, we also use an accumulator tank.  It's a Watts PLT-5 Potable Expansion Tank and sits right in the same compartment as the water pump and we got it from home depot a long time ago.  The pump seems to run quieter and more efficiently this way.

The other benefit here is that you have a reservoir of constant pressurized water that you can use without the pump even running.  So, if you were to turn on the water pressure, the pump runs for about 10 seconds then stops.  You could shut off the breaker and still use the faucets to get roughly a half gallon of water before it just drips.  This is perfect because you can use some water at night without the pump running and waking anyone up.  It's also good for when you soaped up to wash your hands but forgot to turn on the pressure.  :)   We'd shut off the water pressure when leaving the boat (of course) and return later in the week and still be able to draw water without turning on the pump.

-Jeff Hare