[C320-list] Knock, knock, who's there?

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Thu May 14 18:27:06 PDT 2015

Bruce,
It sounds like you are experiencing the prop shaft knocking against the
hull's shaft tube under normal turning conditions which would point to a
worn cutlass bearing, or worn engine mounts, and/or the misalignment of the
engine to the prop shaft coupler, and/or the shaft is favoring one side of
the hull's shaft tube due to misplacement of the engine in its bedding/grid
(trusting that the shaft tube is true with the centerline of the engine
grid/hull).

To Jim and other owners who have experienced prop shaft knock and are
uncertain as to why, perhaps this explanation may be helpful: I  have
experienced a prop shaft knock when placing the hull under a rare and very
stressed condition when I make a sharp, pivot turn when the engine is
running at a consistent midrange or higher speed. I rarely make such an
evasive move under the extreme condition I described where I had to spin the
hull under speed. In that condition I believe the prop shaft began to
striking the edge of shaft log tube because the prop shaft was flexing under
the  rapidly placed stress as the stern section of the hull/strut area
withstood the lateral pressure of water flowing rapidly under the furthest
ends of the hull, both fore and aft of the keel (as stress was being placed
on both ends of the hull in opposing directions). When I first had to pivot
the hull at speed and experienced shaft knocking, my engine/prop couplers
where within tolerances/aligned, and the engine mounts were in good
condition (I checked). I suspected prop shaft flexing as the water was
momentarily forced to accelerate under the stern as it was sliding (as the
hull spins) before the forward motion of the hull ceased due to energy
transferred from forward motion to the lateral spin of the hull on its keel.
Sharply pivoting to starboard side induces pressure on the starboard side of
bow and then forces water under the portside side of stern at the same time,
or vice versa, if pivoting in the opposite direction. Under such a
condition, the prop shaft is the most flexible element at the time forward
energy is transferred to a spinning hull while the engine is under power,
and I surmised the prop shaft flexes (deflects) as the prop struggles to
bite.

The other extreme condition I occasionally  induce also results in an
occasional shaft knocking condition. That occurs when there are very strong
cross wind conditions at my marina dictating that if I elect to leave the
dock I must rapidly back out of our slip to port in a tight fairway to
maintain rudder speed/directional control against a high wind speeds, and
then power up to move forward to rapidly spin the hull on its keel to
starboard as the prop digs in (creating flex stress on the shaft) as I
attempt to regain rudder speed and move forward to avoid being blown up
against the string of docks I just left. The knocking ceases when the hull
completes its spin and/or I back off the throttle as the hull accelerates
forward. I believe the rapid application of engine power combined with
spinning the hull causes that prop shaft to flex and the prop shaft begins
to strike the hull's prop shaft tube as the prop attempts to dig to move
forward. On the other hand, when I must return to my dock In high wind
conditions I may need to enter my slip under higher than normal speed  to
maintain rudder/hull direction and must rapidly throttle up after shifting
into reverse to avoid striking the bow against the dock, but have never
experienced shaft tube knock while revving the engine to reduce hull speed
while in reverse. This causes me to surmise that there was no lateral spin
of the hull at that time, and while in reverse, the prop is not biting with
the same resistance against the water. Therefore, the prop shaft under those
return to dock conditions was not forced to deflect (flex) and knock against
the shaft tube.  I also noticed that when we replaced the bronze shaft with
a stainless shaft, the incidence of shaft log knocking was greatly reduced.
Rick