[C320-list] windlass

jim brown jbrown5093 at yahoo.com
Sun May 17 05:33:07 PDT 2015

Thanks to the list and Scott I managed to take apart the windlass and found that Scott was right-one of the cone clutches(upper) was slightly stuck to the chain gypsy.  I also found that it was assembled upside down. In the manual the lower clutch cone has a grub screw while the upper one does not. Mine were reversed so the grub screw served no purpose 9couldn't be tightened inside the gypsy). Also the v seal on the shaft was missing a piece. A couple of questions. Does anyone know the purpose of the grub screw on the lower cone? The cone is keyed on the shaft so the only purpose I can see is to keep the lower cone from riding up the shaft when the top nut is backed off.I think this may have been the source of some of my problem since my lower cone had no set screw.  Second-the v seal seems to have a top and bottom -thickish washer like on one face and a thin surface on the other. Does anyone know which side goes down?
Maxwell can be reached at Vetus-Maxwell.com. They referred me to Florida Rigging and Hydraulic to order the seal. For those with older units the parts numbers in the manual are no longer valid. Those beginning with D and E not longer use the letter prefix and those with the S letter or just a three digit number now have a 4 digit number by adding a 0 at the beginning. That's why no one could find the seal by using the number I had in the manual until I called Maxwell in Maryland. They were very helpful.

Jim Brown
Desafinado 973