[C320-list] Asymmetric Spinnaker or Gennaker

Denny Browne dennybrowne at verizon.net
Tue May 19 06:14:40 PDT 2015

No reason at all not to fall off at the weather mark, hoist the a-sail, furl the headsail and then attach the ATN Tacker. Typically, the weather Mark is a port rounding, so if you run the spinnaker halyard to the starboard cabin top winch, you can run the port side spinnaker sheet to the port cabin top winch and leave the primary winch for the Genoa sheet until you furl it.   Keep in mind, though, that the stock extra halyard is a wing halyard, not a fully articulated spinnaker halyard running through a swivel block at the masthead. The latter is better because it can be difficult to get the former down unless you're sailing pretty deep, as the higher you sail when dousing, the worse it chafes as it exits the masthead.

The C320 performs best with a pole and symmetrical spinnaker, though, except in rare occasions close reaching in light air. My a-sail is 15% smaller than the symmetrical sail, both built for the boat by the same sailmaker. You should talk to a couple of local sailmakers for advice on how and where you want to sail.

They're all fun. The a-sail from the anchor roller bail is simplest and has worked fine for us. I never felt the need, and didn't have the money for a furler, but did use the ATN Sock for a while. Now we just launch from a bag like a conventional spinnaker. Just be sure the over eager trimmer resists pulling on the sheet until the halyard is all the way up.

Good luck, it never ends!

Denny Browne
A Cappella #935
Redondo Beach

Sent from iPhone, sorry for typos, grammar, etc...