[C320-list] Asymmetric Spinnaker or Gennaker

Bronwen Young baeyoung at telus.net
Tue May 19 08:14:07 PDT 2015

Tony,
  We know a boat that has put in a Selden bowsprit with a furler system.  He had to buy the entire system with a new halyard that allows for the furling.  He has an asym on it for deeper pointing.  His sail was designed for lighter air.  [He sails on Okanagan Lake, whereas we are in the Salish Sea (inside Vancouver Island).]  He was told that he could also put a Code 0 on the apparatus, but the application makes little sense as one rarely broad reaches on a long narrow-ish lake.
  Code 0’s are great for the Volvo guys because they’re out in the open ocean and can choose to go at 90° a lot of the time.  Most of us want to go from point A to point B (when we go cruising).  That rarely means that the wind is conveniently at 90°.  Even the race courses around the cans are usually set to go up and down the wind.  The asym is a much handier sail for most of what we do.

  We have a sock on our asym, and, yes, we do raise it behind the genoa.  But, we always furl in the genoa before we unleash the asym.  Since we cruise much more that we do regattas, we usually don’t need to do things quickly, and we are usually changing our course because we’ve gone around a point or something.
  We concur, go talk to your sail maker about what you intend to do.  And, as you yourself said, you can’t have one sail that can do it all.  We got a sail that would function well in lighter air between 90° and 120°.

Bronwen & Eric Young
FanaSea, #198