[C320-list] Companionway hatch glide tape

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue May 26 15:01:40 PDT 2015

Hi Greg,

I used this kind of tape:  http://amzn.com/B00153HUIG

Also, if you want it to stay put, install 1-1/2" wide strips on the
underside of the HATCH instead of on the tops of the little rails.  The
benefit here is that the full length of tape remains pressed in contact with
the rails whether the hatch is open or closed and doesn't peel up.
Passengers also won't be peeling the tape up when they grab the slide rails
when the hatch is open.  The factory should have installed it this way to
begin with in my opinion.

Mounting it on the underside of the hatch is actually a little easier than
installing it on the rails because you don't have to be quite so precise.

I took some alcohol, a bunch of rags wrapped around a narrow putty knife to
reach in and clean the underside of the hatch and rails.  I had friend lift
the hatch on one side and with a precut length of the tape it was no problem
to slide it into place and then let the hatch down to press on it.  Then
using the putty knife and a cloth it was easy to apply pressure to fully
adhere the tape.  Just be sure to get a clean surface and you probably won't
ever have to do this again.

The original stuff started peeling 3 or 4 years after we got the boat new in
2001.  I replaced it this way with the wider strips on the underside and
it's been just fine ever since.

Cheers!
-Jeff Hare