[C320-list] New problem......

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Fri Nov 27 07:57:53 PST 2015

Diane,

It strikes me that it would take a large amount of water to push up through
the bilge liner for a small crack to begin weeping inside my vintage 320
because there is a hull liner above the actual hull. Therefore, more
Information would be helpful; like your hull year & number, the precise
location in the bilge area relative to section of the boat: under engine,
pump area, keel, or forward of the mast, etc.. The reason I inquire is
because when a hull settles after it  on the hard, it can develop hairline
stress cracks in the engine bilge pan area and hairline cracks may also be
visible when inspecting a hull while it is resting on its pads. Given the
thickness of the hull, water seepage is not likely thru minor stress cracks
in the hull unless there was major damage from a severe blow to the hull
from an underwater strike or a hull dropped on its cradle, etc. More likely
there is a breach in the sealant around a thru-hull or even an instrument
installed under the waterline. Also, depending how the hull was placed in
the slings when it was hauled out and then blocked, or placed in its cradle,
minor hairline cracks or fissures can develop in the gel coat over time as
the hull flexes, but water seepage needs to be run down if there is a breach
in the hull because overtime water can damage the hull laminate if was
allowed to work on the hull laminates & hull resins over time.

On my hull with multiple shallow bilge sections, I would first determine if
the seepage is traveling from another bilge compartment or  is the seepage
actually  originating from under the bilge/pan liner. Water could be
traveling from under the pan/liner from a variety of source points including
leaking fixed port lights on the hull or even from a fresh water hose or sea
cooling system hose, the hot water tank hoses or that tank, or from the
fresh water tanks, etc. that may not be observed without checking to learn
how much water is under the bilge liner and then track down its source. A
simple solution is to seal the crack in the bilge after tracking down the
source of the seepage and could involve a generous amount of sealant like
caulk or better yet, an epoxy or resin paste that could still crack again
when the hull is stressed/flexed during the normal course of a haul-out and
storage.

Rick

My-Ria, 95' 320, Hull #277