[C320-list] Messenger line

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Wed Sep 2 19:00:42 PDT 2015

Waxed Whipping twine is plenty strong enough.

You may find (as I did) that you don't end up needing the messenger lines on
the new hose vent.  The vent hose that goes between the tank and the
thru-hull snakes into view quite easily.

You'll have to remove the vacuum breaker vents and push the 4 hoses down
into the wall in order to pull the medicine cabinet out.  It's these hoses
that would benefit from some messenger lines but only at the point where
you're ready to reinstall everything. I think there's very little risk of
having any hoses fall into the wall out of reach.  The space is not even a
whole arm's length in depth and the hoses are rigid enough that they won't
go far and it's all visible once the medicine cabinet is out.

The thing you may find tricky is feeding the vacuum breaker vent hoses back
up through the holes in the medicine cabinet when you're all done.  I
believe the easiest way to feed these back up is to cut the hose ends at a
45 degree angle before you install the medicine cabinet.  Poke a hole at the
pointed end of the hose and tie a piece of whipping twine through that hole.
If the holes are a tight fit, you won't use this line to pull the hose all
the way through, just enough so that you can grab the hose with a pair of
pliers and work it the rest of the way up through.  Then you'd have to
square up the hose just prior to reinstalling the vacuum breakers.  The hose
clamps can be snugged up to keep the hoses from falling back down until you
get the U-shaped vacuum breakers reinstalled.

When I started this project I was prepared for a really difficult job, and
it never really materialized.  However on my boat I did have to unscrew and
remove the plastic guard that keeps things from rolling off the counter
because it was in the way of removing the medicine cabinet.  I found the
cabinet had to pull straight out horizontally. It was too tight of a fit to
tip out and lift up.

Good luck, you'll be glad you did this project.  Be sure to use a little
caulking around the inner seal of the new forespar fitting to prevent fumes
(or water) from finding their way back inside.

At the same time I did this, I installed the "dry-roll" toilet paper holder
that I originally saw on Allan Fields' boat.  It's a really nice addition.

Check out my photo gallery for some  pics if you haven't already.

-Jeff Hare